1.      What programs does UniMAP offer at postgraduate level?


UniMAP focused mainly in offering engineering ‘electronic base’ programs. However, there are also research programs focusing on social sciences, IT and languages. For further details of programs, please click here.

 2.  What is the admission procedure for postgraduate programs?


To apply, you need visit our Online Postgraduate Application The processing period shall take no longer than 2 months.

  3.      Does it mean that if an applicant, fullfils all the entry requirements, he/she will be accepted to register as a graduate student?


Not necessary, for research programs especially, it depends on the availability of a Supervisor.

   4.      I wish to enroll as a postgraduate student in UniMAP. May I know the programs of study offered?


UniMAP offers three modes of study namely Research, Coursework and Mixed Mode. These are offered in various disciplines on a full-time or part-time basis. For further details of programs, please click here.

 5.     I sent in my application sometime ago. What is the status of my application?


 Once your application has been forwarded to the School/Centre concerned for consideration and a decision has been received, CGS will arrange for offer letter/rejection letter within 3 working days from the date we received response from the respective school.


6.    Is it possible to register for two (2) postgraduate programs at any one time, that is, by research and the other by coursework?


No, the regulations does not permit a student to enrol for 2 programs of study concurrently in this University and neither can a student be registered at any other University whilst pursuing a course of study here.

  7.      I was offered admission as a full-time student. Can I request for a change of status to part-time?


 Yes, you are allowed the change of status by writing officially to the Dean of CGS for approval but after you have registered as a student.  (not applicable to international candidates)

  8.     I am currently writing my thesis. What is the procedure of submitting thesis?


 Before submitting 8 copies of thesis for evaluation, you are required to submit Notice for Thesis Submission (PIT12) at least 3 months prior but not more than 6 months. If you fails to submit the thesis in 6 month’s time, you need to get approval from your supervisor for extension and if you still not able to submit the thesis after the extension period expire, you have to re-submit the Notice for Thesis Submission.

   9.  I have submitted my thesis for evaluation last month. When will my viva be scheduled?


For Master students, the viva session will normally be after 6 weeks from the thesis submission and for PhD students, it would normally be after 10 weeks. However, the scheduling of the viva date also depends on the availability of the examiners and the panel. CGS will do our best to schedule your viva soonest possible.

  10.  My candidature will expires in about 4 month’s time. To whom and where should I request for an extension?


 An extension of candidature must be made to the Dean of the respectiveSchools/Centre at least 3 months prior to the expiration date of the candidature. For this purpose, you have to complete the form PIT 04 which is available at CGS website.


 11. I wish to terminate my candidature. Who should I inform?


 Withdrawal from continuing your studies can be made to the Dean of CGS based on satisfactory and acceptable reasons.

  12.  I wish to change my candidature from coursework to research. What shall I do?


 You need to withdraw from the current programme and send in a fresh application for the new mode of study to CGS for consideration.

   13.      Am I allowed to register without a student’s pass?


Unfortunately no. As a foreign student, you must be in possession of a student’s pass before you are permitted to register as a student in Malaysia. If you enter Malaysia without hour student’s pass, a penalty of RM500 will be imposed by the Immigration Department.

   14.      I am an international candidate and currently working in Malaysia (holding expatriate pass).  Can I register with UniMAP on part-time mode and working concurrently?


Unfortunately no. You must register with UniMAP with a valid student visa.

  15. My student visa is about to expiry, what should I do?


 You must apply for visa renewal at least 3 months before expires.  A verification letter from CGS must be obtained prior submitting your visa renewal application to CIA.  Extra charges for special pass and other arrangement are chargeable should you apply for visa renewal in less than 90 days before expires.


  16. Can I work while on a student pass?

 All international students studying at public or private higher educational institutions are 

allowed to work part-time for a maximum of twenty (20) hours per week ONLY during semester breaks or holidays of more than seven (7) days at restaurants, petrol kiosks, mini markets and hotels as long as their
student passes remain valid and with the prior approval of the Department of Immigration.

  International students are NOT permitted to work as cashiers. In addition, in the hotel sector, international students are NOT allowed to work as singers, masseurs,  musicians or GROs. International students are not

allowed to engage in any job or activity deemed to be immoral. Applications to work part time must be made through the educational institution at which the international students are enrolled. The international student needs to  be present with the representative of the educational institution at the Immigration Department of Malaysia in order to submit an application for part time work.
[adapted from Malaysia Immigration Department website ]